I once heard... If
we have soul, then its made up of love that we share... unbound by death... undimmed by time. It may take a lifetime to
get it but it takes just a few moments to feel it. While zooming on the roads of
Bangalore, I saw a toddler who did not look energetic like other kids. I
talked with his mom. With a heavy voice she replied...My child is suffering from some
form of mental disorder. That night, I spent hours on the net just to see if these young kids have any hope. I asked one question to myself, can I do something? I am not an expert neither a millionaire.
There I
came to know about an organisation called Udaan ( http://udaan.org/) .The NGO happens to work for these
kids. A little interaction with them and I realized that there are more than a
million kids who have some kind of disorder. Then I thought at least I
could spread the message of Udaan to the people of the nation. And how would I
do that? The answer was simple. Just ride with this notion along the nation.
Next three months was to plan for a ride on the biggest highway network of the
country. The highway pattern was promising , 'The Golden
quadrilateral', also known as GQ. In my plan I got assistance from my friends,
my motorcycle club ‘Bajaj Avengers Club’. Methods Automotive provided K&N R1100 universal air filter provided initial financial support. Another company OSS GPS Tracking Solution of Bengaluru equipped my machine with Navigation support system for birds eye view. Thanks to OGTS, my people were always able to track me.The refreshing taste came from the cans of RedBull.
There I
came to know about an organisation called Udaan ( http://udaan.org/) .The NGO happens to work for these
kids. A little interaction with them and I realized that there are more than a
million kids who have some kind of disorder. Then I thought at least I
could spread the message of Udaan to the people of the nation. And how would I
do that? The answer was simple. Just ride with this notion along the nation.
Next three months was to plan for a ride on the biggest highway network of the
country. The highway pattern was promising , 'The Golden
quadrilateral', also known as GQ. In my plan I got assistance from my friends,
my motorcycle club ‘Bajaj Avengers Club’. Methods Automotive provided K&N R1100 universal air filter provided initial financial support. Another company OSS GPS Tracking Solution of Bengaluru equipped my machine with Navigation support system for birds eye view. Thanks to OGTS, my people were always able to track me.The refreshing taste came from the cans of RedBull.
So
on a bright sunny day of 1st June 2014, I started my ride from
Next morning it
was a fresh start. I headed for my next destination Pune. This city has a
distinct charm of youth, energy and culture put together. I was informed that
my club members have arranged a meet at a coffee shop in Chandni Chowk. It was
like a riders gang coming to meet me. Mostly, in their twenties. Some of them even freshers or students, I was asked a lot of questions about my mission and the
notion that I carry called Udaan. Spent a lot of time with the gang. I nearly
crossed the entire city to reach to EON teck park at Kharadi. There I kept
waiting outside to meet my old friend who unfortunately never showed up.
Anyways, I took some rest and next morning and it was Misel Pav at a local
eatery.
The beautiful hills of Lonavla and Khandala is an enchanting experience. Riding on it was like motorcycling in misty winds. I was refreshed like a new
born. The hairpin turns were a bit challenging but then a gentleman love
curves. The 45 min ride on this track was a real delight. Very soon I was on
the verge of Navi Mumbai and then crossed the entire Mumbai city. It was a like
living two different life in a day. One like a dream holiday and then a chaotic
city life. Anyways, I kept on moving. On the verge of Maharastra and
Till
now it was long highways, local food and charm of meeting the simple villagers.
Suddenly what I can see are deserted lands, temperature as high as 45’ C, less
shops and more Daru Thekas. Within two hours the warm Gujarati Hospitality is
changed to extreme riding challenge with severe weather condition. For certain
section I feel like some saint has cursed this land. My destination was
After this long wait, I got a neat and
clean machine. Man and machine were ready again.
It
was long ride to Jaipur. By the time I reached there, it was almost midnight. Honestly I never saw the pink shade of Jaipur. For me it was only dark shade since at 12 o’clock at night, only twinkling street light prevails. It was Jaipur where I was challenged for a race which I humbly declined. I rested at a hotel where I was offered a Royal Suite at a very discounted rate. The entire Hotel management was impressed at my ride plans and I liked that. I would say that was the best sleep I ever had during my trip. But as all good things come to an end I had to wake up the next morning and prepare my self. It was Gurgaon in Haryana on my list and from there the slogan was Delhi Chalo.
The
national capital was welcoming me with blasts of furnace air and high temperature.
Keeping a pace with my machine I headed towards Lajpat Nagar where the NGO
Udaan was situated. I must confess that locals were staring at me as if I was
an alien. They were right after all who will have an air tight full body
armoured riding jacket that too complete black in colour. Any ways I reached to
there and was given a warm welcome. I met with Dr. Arun Mukherjee, a leading
practitioner who informed me about the various disorders faced by children of
our nation. I realised that more than the disease it’s the ignorance that is
causing the impact. I also met with the entire team of Udaan and got some
chance to know about the various facilities available there. It seemed quite
transparent and very efficient. Presently Udaan is also facilitating video
consultation on skype. There are people even in New Jercey who come to get their
children treated at Udaan. I must salute these people who have dedicated their
entire life for the welfare of small kids. The Udaan people arranged my stay in
Delhi and I am
grateful for that.
In the evening, I met an entire gang of Delhi bikers at a local
Restrau, They were the biggest challengers in biking arena of the nation. Sit
with them for an hour and your entire machining concept is changed. After
tasting the crispy night life of Delhi ,
I headed back to my hotel to take a nap and geared up for the next day.


I
was eagerly waiting for this ride because the destination was Kanpur. It was
this city
where I was born and spent my entire childhood . Somehow... like the cradle of youth. Since I was in a defence estate, so the usual common civic issues were far from my place. The desire to reach there was increasing with every passing moment. I must confess that this ride was the best and most challenging one. Best because roads were simply the best. Challenging because riding in blast furnace is not every body’s cup of tea.First it wasDelhi – Noida Express way followed by Jaypee Yamuna
Express way that leads to Agra .
From Agra till Kanpur the national highway was quite good. I
must say that this section of 500 km was most enjoyable. Once I reached there I
went to my Uncle’s place since my dad has retired from MoD and went back to
pavilion, Kolkata. The expression on my Aunt’s face was beyond imagination. It
was a cocktail of surprise, anger, welcome and to an extent speechless.
where I was born and spent my entire childhood . Somehow... like the cradle of youth. Since I was in a defence estate, so the usual common civic issues were far from my place. The desire to reach there was increasing with every passing moment. I must confess that this ride was the best and most challenging one. Best because roads were simply the best. Challenging because riding in blast furnace is not every body’s cup of tea.First it was
I
am always worried about the family type questions. The first one is of course
on the need of the trip. I had no answer to that. This was followed by a long
list quite hypothetical ones. In these scenarios, I prefer silence with my cute
smile. For the next 6-8 hours I had to eat a lot. I really enjoyed home made
food after a gap of a week but …eating so much …It was like they just had one
day to feed me every possible Bengali cuisine. I confess…I felt heavy …That
evening I roamed on the streets and the bazaar of my Armapur Estate hoping to
meet any old pal of my gang. Soon I realised that the time has moved, place is
still the same and just that my people are no more there.
With a heavy heart, next morning I
started for Sasaram (Bihar).On the way I bypassed Allahabad, Varanasi and many
such holy cities. Even thought of taking a dip in Ganges
and become free from all IT coding sins. But, alas I had to bypass these cities
and I do crossed many bridges on Ganges and
other holy rivers but the thought of taking a dip became a distant dream. After
Sasaram, my next destination was the city of Joy , Kolkata. My old friends and club members
were waiting there eagerly. It was chaotic, humid and not so good roads.
I must confess that this was the state of joy. People were energetic and always in a welcome mood. I felt as if I have cruised to theland of Misti Doi .
My old college pals, one of whom is a senior scientist with MoD, stared at me with his cruel smile. He told
in a sarcastic way…I knew from day one of college hostel you are no good for a
normal life. But then being great is better than being good... at least for making news. I never got his words.
Since others were laughing, so I also kept the tempo. That night we chatted, we shared all the
idiotic stuff of college life and had a great cooking experience.
I must confess that this was the state of joy. People were energetic and always in a welcome mood. I felt as if I have cruised to the
Next morning I had
to start for the final phase of Golden Quadrilateral the NH5/6 that connects
Kolkata to Chennai. I was some 50 kms away from my ancestral village. It was
really a tough moment. I thought of going there and meet my parents. The very
next moment I gave a practical view and confessed myself that if I go there my
trip can come to a halt. My parents and relatives will be shocked to see me on
my machine and will send me back in an aeroplane. So with a a heavy heart I
moved towards Bhubaneshwar. The roads were pathetic especially the section
between Kharagpur and Bhadrak. A lot of maintenance work is going on and the
maximum speed limit was no more than 20 kms . well it was painful, tedious and
on top of that Indra Dev was also happy. Honestly, I would have crossed that
terrain much earlier on a bicycle than on my machine. Anyways I continued, and
reached to Bhubaneshwar. The city has all the aspects of a developing town. At
some places you would find old houses and huts and at the very next moment it
would be skyscrapers. I enjoyed sweets over there and simply continued towards
Andhra. Once you cross
Orissa and move towards Andhra Pradesh, it was like roaming on a different
planet. With nothing on both sides of highway, I felt like that you can shoot
planet of Apes again. Certain section was like crossing the towns that offers
absolutely nothing except long deserted roads. I actually felt like being the
'Tanhaiyoon ka Badshah' with loads of time for introspection... It was this section where I could not find any
decent hotel for a stretch of 200 km. At 12:30 ie post midnight, I took a
decision of sleeping on the highway. I was seriously having no other option. I
kept my machine on one side. My valet and cell phone was kept in the box. I put
my towel on footbath, prayed to God and simply slept. Honestly I had a sound
sleep from 1 o’ clock till 5:50 in the mornfing. All the nature calls were
responded in the lap of nature. Thanks to my earlier trekking experience, it
was an easy going.
After this during the next three days I
crossed many cities and finally reached to Hosur in
TamilNadu. Here I was given a warm welcome by my motorcycling club BAC. People were waiting for me on the highway since morning. I felt like a celebrity and was pounded with questions one after the other. Fellow riders were intreted in knowing all aspects of the journey. After a long chat we finally moved towardBangalore . I felt like I have completed my
long cherished dream of dancing with the rain and kissing the horizon on my
solo trip.
TamilNadu. Here I was given a warm welcome by my motorcycling club BAC. People were waiting for me on the highway since morning. I felt like a celebrity and was pounded with questions one after the other. Fellow riders were intreted in knowing all aspects of the journey. After a long chat we finally moved toward
The trip was also
a pleasure in getting a taste of local food especially the highway dhabas and
small roadside eateries is treat that
few ore blessed with. Starting from traditional Dal Bati Churma followed by
flavours of Royal Rajasthani food and then clubbed with Delhi Parathas extended
to the spices of Uttar Pradesh the ride was cruising on a platter. But this was
not all. The real deserts were served at West Bengal
with Kalo Jaam and rasogolla only to be followed by ChenaPora of Orrisa. I am
told that it takes more than 16 hours for preparation. I even tried a very
distinct flavours of idli in Orrisa where the lintels were main ingredients and
this was worth trying.
During these 15
days, the man and machine combination has faced all terrains that a biker can
imagine. May it be the Yamuna Expressway where cruising and gliding are
synonymous to the slopes of Lonavla and Khandala where the misty winds wait for
you. After this bliss of experience once I entered to Rajasthan the dream ride
was changed to tough terrain challenge. I have faced severe weather conditions. Had to shave my hair, suffered skin rashes and
honestly when I look back I feel any rational person will simply give up... BUT THEN WE ARE EMOTIONAL RIDERS AND WE DO WHAT WE LOVE AFTER ALL ITS BLOOD IN THE TANK AND FUEL IN VEINS!




kool dude... for ur courage
ReplyDeletenice blog ... describes the experience and provided useful information for other bikers who may want to take this route in the future
ReplyDeleteIt is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end.....kudos 4 ur efforts...hope it vl change many lives u came across during nd aftr ur journey....
ReplyDeleteVOW.. No words to say.. Awesome!!! It is unbelievable and not an easy one, especially when you are working for a IT company... Good to hear you got sponsors for your ride...
ReplyDeleteI know driving is your passion, but the cause of Udaan was heart-touching.
In spite of just 50 km from your village, you got a strong desire of your mission.. hats off Tamal!!!
This is a great achievement in your life. Keep going...
Hey Tamal....Too good...It is really appreciating the way you have covered so many places in India riding motorcyle and the way you have put your experiences into beautiful words....It is nice to check that you carried a social message called 'UDAAN'....Yo Macho!!! :) (y)
ReplyDeleteTamal, good to see the other side of yours. You have been a sport since childhood. Thinking about going on such trip is something and practically accomplishing it is totally different. It needs courage, will power and an urge to do good for something. YOU HAVE DONE IT! You are a true story teller and a game changer.
ReplyDeleteLIVE YOUR DREAM AND MAKE A BETTER WORLD.
You are either crazy or a super passionate man...I mean how can one ever think of doing such a trip...This was not like your earlier stories...You took things to a different height all together..i mean i know that orrisa and Andhra pradesh border is maoist hit and you slept on footpath at such a place..leave alone the high temerature...And one more question...I checked you on Google+ and Facebook...You were always smiling...
ReplyDeleteHow can you not be upset and tired after such a long ...One more question ...I mean its a bit personal ...So you can leave that if you are not
comfortable...Do you have a girl...I follow your blogs so I there was a slight mention in an older one...Has she not tried to stop you on going to this triangle ride...Was she not aware of this trip before you started...Well you may skip this question...I used to think you were a cute rider but know it seems you are a togh man with a cute smile...
Tamal, It’s great to know about other side you from this blog apart from our recent few weeks professional interactions.
ReplyDeleteEspecially about one who wants to think and do something for children and took such big step of national long ride with mission of spreading a word on mentally challenged children and about UDAAN. I’m really proud of you and salute your determination to give society something in return.
Your blog really well written, presented and you shared key points of the ride with great details.
“Hats off” is only word I can say here especially for your spirit, intention, energy and determination to do something for children (future of the nation).
That's one hell of a ride dude!
ReplyDeleteMany many congratz Tamal... Wish you many more safe rides in coming days :-)